After taking a little break, I decided to experiment with alternative styles and rethink the theme behind the logo. A majority of the time, I see company/client names involving actual subjects making it much easier to brainstorm ideas. This name was more of an idea focusing more on the service the client provides than the actual name of the company. In addition, I needed to find a compromise between an effective color combination based on her initial ideas, and one that will work with the website template she had already chosen. I started with a simple new idea based on an old illustration of an open door. That's it. I then toyed with the relation between the emitting light and the negative space while attempting to retain the shape of the house/building.
Above are some more early logo ideas that I've been working on. The first three were the initial concepts after some brainstorming and color experimentation with the last two being modifications based on what the client said she liked. I still wasn't completely happy with the direction the designs were headed and decided to take a little break and do some chores and return with some new thoughts. It worked! It looks awesome (to us anyway) and totally different. Unfortunately, I'd like to hold off posting the final design until the client is completely comfortable.
At last an image of the logo that used my vector motorcycle (see earlier posts)! I might have spent a little too much time on the details on the motorcycle for what it was used for, but I really got into it and was enjoying it too much not to.